Dr Rajat Chowdhury is a Consultant Musculoskeletal Radiologist at Oxford University Hospitals and specialises in all aspects of orthopaedic, rheumatology, sports and spine imaging, and image-guided treatments.
He read medicine at the University of Oxford, where he also coxed the rowing team. He completed core surgical training at St Mary’s Hospital, Imperial College London, and specialist radiology training in Wessex. He completed a musculoskeletal radiology fellowship at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London and an honorary advanced fellowship at the internationally renowned Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford. He was subsequently appointed as a Consultant Musculoskeletal Radiologist at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, based at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre.
His practice includes complex orthopaedic and spine disorders, major trauma, rheumatology, bone and soft tissue sarcoma, and bone infection. He has special interests in sports imaging and image-guided treatments, regularly working with athletes and professional dancers.
Recent and Current Appointments
- Consultant Musculoskeletal Radiologist, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Lecturer in Anatomy, The Queen’s College, University of Oxford
- Lead for Musculoskeletal Trauma Imaging, Oxford Major Trauma Centre (2015-2017)
- He was previously a NICE Scholar and awarded lifelong Fellowship of the British Institute of Radiology in 2014
Publications, Lectures and Teaching
- Dr Chowdhury has several peer-reviewed publications and lectures at national and international conferences and courses, including the Oxford MRI Course. He co-organises the Oxford in-depth course on Spine Imaging.
- He is author of several radiology and surgery books, including Radiology at a Glance. He has contributed to the 4th edition of Gray’s Anatomy for Students.
- He holds a Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education and is the Anatomy Tutor for undergraduate medical students at The Queen’s College, Oxford.
- He was previously awarded a research scholarship by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence and an international academic scholarship by the Radiological Society of North America.
- British Society of Skeletal Radiology
- European Society of Skeletal Radiology
- Radiological Society of North America
- Royal College of Radiologists
- Royal College of Surgeons
- British Institute of Radiology