Dr Hughes specialises in musculoskeletal and spinal imaging and image-guided treatments.
He has wide experience in treating various musculoskeletal and spinal conditions and has been Clinical Radiology Lead at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, home of the National Spinal Injury Centre. He sees many recreational and elite athletes as part of his NHS and private practice.
Recent and current appointments
- Consultant Radiologist Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust 2007-Present
- Clinical Director Radiology Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust 2012-2015
- Consultant Radiologist Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital 2004-2007
Publications, lectures and teaching
- Richard has been a board member in the Stoke Mandeville Spinal Imaging Research Programme. He has research interests in spinal injury and associated complications, has over 25 peer reviewed publications and has written a chapter on musculoskeletal interventions in the Oxford Handbook of Interventional Radiology.
- Richard is a regular presenter and lecturer at various regional, national and international meetings.
- British Society of Skeletal Radiology
- International Skeletal Society
- Royal College of Radiologists. Oxford Regional Chair 2015 - Present