Dr Richard Weiler treats musculoskeletal conditions and sports injuries at any age and level of activity and has a particular interest in lower limb rehabilitation following injury or surgery, tendon injuries and groin pain. His focus is on helping patients return to function and reach their goals. He has wide experience in the non-operative management of sports injuries, rehabilitating athletes of all abilities, from Olympic and Paralympic athletes to International and Premier League footballers, rugby players and cricketers. He also works with teams of healthcare professionals to rehabilitate non-athletes with musculoskeletal conditions, such as back pain and joint pain.
He was a FIFA Medical Officer at the Qatar winter World Cup 2022 looking after all matches played at Stadium 974 and an injury spotter at other matches. He is the Lead Doctor at West Ham United Football Team, Medical Officer for British Bobsleigh, has assisted Surrey County Cricket Club 1st team in T20 and has worked with sliders and skiers, in between falling over, for Team GB at the 2018 Pyeongchang and 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. He has worked three Paralympic cycles with GB Para Football, working at London 2012 Paralympics and as Preparation Camp Medical Lead for Paralympics GB for Rio 2016. He also supported British Athletics in preparation for 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Dr Richard Weiler qualified from the University of Bristol in 1999, completed an MSc with distinction in Sports & Exercise Medicine from UCL in 2008 and is about to complete a PhD at the Vrije University, Amsterdam on para sport concussion care.
He is a Fellow of the Faculty of Sport & Exercise Medicine, on the Board of the Institute of Sports & Exercise Medicine, co-founder and co-Chair of the Concussion in Para Sport Group and sits on the Medical Committee for the International Blind Sports Federation (IBSA). He is active in research, has lectured around the world and is an external tutor at the UCL Institute of Sport Exercise and Health.
- Lead Medical Officer, West Ham United FC
- British Bobsleigh Medical Officer
- Co-Chair Concussion in Para Sport Group (CIPS)
- IBSA Medical Committee
- Team GB Medical Officer Winter Olympics 2018 (Pyeongchang) and 2022 (Beijing)
- FIFA Medical Officer
- British Athletics Medical Officer
- Medical Officer Paralympics GB (London 2012 and Rio 2016)
- Chief Medical Officer, England and Team GB Disability Football, The Football Association
- Honorary Consultant, University College London Hospitals
- Consultant Sport and Exercise Medicine, West Hertfordshire NHS
- Lecturer and external tutor, UCL Institute of Sport, Exercise & Health
- Board of Trustees, American College of Sport Medicine
- Board Member, The Institute of Sports Medicine
- Fellows Board, Map of Medicine
- Patron, Wheelchair Dance Sport Association
- Ambassador DT38 Foundation
Publications, lectures and teaching
- Fellow Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine
- Member British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Board of Trustees and Member American College of Sports Medicine
- Fellow Higher Education Academy