Jonathan is a highly experienced Consultant Rheumatologist and Sports Physician having been a Consultant since 2004.
In Rheumatology Jonathan has an interest in, gout, back pain, osteoarthritis, bone health, osteoporosis and other inflammatory conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.
In Sports Medicine he also has a particular interest in diagnosis and recovery from all forms of injury. He has experience in Professional Football, Rugby Union, Disability Sport and Rehabilitation. He was Physician to the London 2012 Olympic Games and the Great Britain Beijing 2008 Paralympic Team.
Jonathan is recognised as an international expert on treating patients with tendon problems. He is skilled in providing shock wave and injection therapy and guiding rehabilitation. His medical doctorate on tendinopathy from University College London won the British Society of Sport and Exercise Medicine research prize and he has published many influential papers in this field. He is also experienced at performing musculoskeletal ultrasound.
Jonathan has extensive experience in working with within multidisciplinary environments with physiotherapists, coaches, sports therapists and osteopaths and his aim is to help every patient achieve their maximum potential. His appointments have included, Consultant in Rheumatology Addenbrookes’ Hospital, Cambridge, Honorary Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Medicine, Queen Mary College London, Consultant Rheumatologist at the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre, Headley Court and Honorary Consultant Rheumatologist Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals. He is a past President of the Royal Society of Medicine Sports Medicine Section.
For every patient he sees, Jonathan aim is to help them reach their maximum potential, whatever the injury or illness they may have.
Recent and current appointments
- Consultant in Rheumatology and Sports Medicine, Addenbrookes’ Hospital Cambridge.
- Honorary Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Medicine, Queen Mary College London
- Training Programme Director in Sport and Exercise Medicine, East of England
- Previous Head of Lower Limb, Upper Limb and Spinal Rehabilitation for the Armed Forces at the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre, Headley Court
- Honorary Consultant Rheumatologist Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals
- Advisor to the Organising Committee of the London 2012 Olympic Games
- Physician for the London 2012 Olympic Games
- Physician to the Great Britain 2008 Paralympic Games
- Sports Physician to Millwall Football Club
- President of the Royal Society of Medicine Sports Medicine Section
- External Examination Assessor, Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine UK
Publications, lectures and teaching
- Jonathan has published over 70 peer review papers, book chapters and abstracts and won numerous prizes for his work on tendinopathy.
- Jonathan regularly lectures nationally and internationally on tendons and has been interviewed on TV by both the BBC and ITN news.
- Founding Fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- British Society for Rheumatology
- Royal Society of Medicine