Dr Houghton has wide and extensive experience in treating elite athletes, military personnel, city workers, adolescents, older athletes and all those who are physically active or in pain. He specialises in tendon pain utilising ultrasound and UTC scanning for diagnosis and ultrasound guided injections and ESWT (Shockwave) as potential treatments. He also has a wide range of experience in upper and lower limb overuse and running injuries, bone stress injuries, adolescent overuse injuries, hip and groin pain, exercise induced leg pain and injury rehabilitation. His rheumatology interests are bone stress, gout, inflammatory spinal conditions and inflammatory joint conditions that affect young or athletic people.
Dr Houghton has excellent communication skills and promotes a multidisciplinary approach, liaising effectively with physiotherapists, osteopaths/chiropractors, pain doctors and orthopaedic surgeons to get the best results for his patients. He understands the significant effects that injury and pain can have on normal day to day life and promotes physical activity in all of his treatment plans. Dr Houghton is the lead doctor for the Wales Football Medical Team including the 2016 and 2020 Euros and the 2022 FIFA World Cup. He is also the lead doctor for the 2018 and 2022 County Cricket Champions, Surrey and the Oval Invincibles Hundred franchise.
Current and recent appointments:
- Chief Medical Officer and Team Doctor to the Football Association of Wales
- Chief Medical Officer Surrey County Cricket Club
- Elite Sport representative for the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine.
- Member of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine Ultrasound Committee
- Ex Chair of the Royal College of Physicians Sport and Exercise Medicine Committee
- Previous Head of Lower Limb Rehabilitation for the Armed Forces at DMRC Headley Court
Publications, lectures and teaching:
- Previous Honorary Principal lecturer at the School of Sport, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Ultrasound Examiner for the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- A lead Author on the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine Ultrasound Training Guidelines
- Published on Tendinopathy, Exercise Induced Leg pain, Hip pain in the young adult and outcomes following Hip Arthroscopy
- Elected Fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- British Society of Sport and Exercise medicine
- British Society of Rheumatology