Dr Mark Ridgewell is a Consultant Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician. His main field is the management of soft tissue and overuse injuries across the whole spectrum from elite performers to those who are wishing to undertake low level exercise. He specialises in the prevention and management of overuse injuries all over the body as well as rehabilitation.
Dr Ridgewell became the first doctor in Wales to be appointed to the GMC Specialist Register in Sport and Exercise Medicine in 2010. He works for Abertawe Bro Morgannwg Local Health Board as the Clinical Lead specialist service, which sees over 12000 patients with soft tissue, bone and joint problems annually. He has worked at international level across a wide variety of sports included rugby, football, athletics, swimming, cricket, hockey, netball, cycling, and gymnastics. Glasgow 2014 was his third Commonwealth Games as Sports Physician to Team Wales.
He has been instrumental in the setting-up and design of the internationally regarded Masters in Sport & Exercise Medicine course at Cardiff Metropolitan University since 1999 and was Programme Director of the course for many years. He constantly updates his learning via his teaching posts and has acted as a mentor for many junior doctors and physiotherapists who have risen to prominent roles over the years.
Over the last 20 years Dr Ridgewell has gained considerable experience on the management of sporting injuries, specialising in the non-surgical treatment of soft tissue injuries affecting muscles, tendons and ligaments, particularly in the exercising population. He works with World, Olympic and Paralympic champions across several sports. He has excellent communication skills and liaises closely with Physiotherapists, Osteopaths/Chiropractors and Orthopaedic Surgeons to determine the best management plan to bring good outcomes for his patients. He understands the significant effects that injury and pain can have on normal day to day life and very much encourages physical activity in his treatment plans.
Recent and current appointments
- Lead Sports Physician High Performance Unit at Sport Wales Institute, Cardiff 2003-present
- JLT Condor and Team Storey Cycling Racing Teams
- Tournament Player Physician Aegon Classic WTA Premier Birmingham 2013- present
- Hon. Principal Lecturer SEM Cardiff Metropolitan University
- 2005-2012 Doctor To Wales Football Team
- 1991-2014 Team doctor to Scarlets, Ospreys and Swansea Rugby Club
- 2000-2003 Medical Adviser ECB
Mark specialises in providing advice on rehabilitation from injury, injury prevention, use of diagnostic ultrasound, guided injections and shockwave (ESWT) for tendon and other soft tissue injuries.
- Fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners
- British Association of Sport and Exercise medicine