Dr. Kumar has over ten years of experience successfully treating all manner of upper limb, lower limb and spinal musculoskeletal conditions causing pain or impairing performance. He draws upon his previous postgraduate training and qualifications in surgery, high performance sports medicine and General Practice to undertake in-depth clinical evaluation and formulate bespoke management plans that help his patients achieve their goals.
As an educationalist, leading degree programs in Sports Medicine, Exercise and Health at University College London, he ensures all his patients acquire a good understanding of their diagnosis and rehabilitation strategies, and works closely with colleagues, to enable optimum recovery. Dr. Kumar has special expertise and qualifications in diagnostic ultrasound imaging of orthopaedic complaints to help confirm an accurate diagnosis and evaluate the extent of any injury often on the same visit.
He has acquired specialist expertise in tendinopathy, concussion, chronic pain management, complex and recurrent injuries, youth and adolescent sport, disability sport, and optimisation of health and physical activity in patients with chronic disease. He leads the National Tendinopathy Centre for clinical and research excellence based at the Institute of Sport Exercise and Health in London, where he is also involved in providing a multidisciplinary concussion service.
Dr. Kumar is Chief Medical Officer at Reading Football Club and AFC Wimbledon. He also currently works as a Consultant Physician to active servicemen and women with the Ministry of Defense, and elite able-bodied, disabled and youth athletes across professional sports, including British Athletics and The European Tour Golf.
Having been a keen rower and runner at Imperial College London, he remains active in a variety of individual and team sports, having overcome various injuries along the way.
Recent and current appointments
- Consultant Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician at the Institute of Sport Exercise & Health, University College London Hospitals
- Leadership of the National Tendinopathy Centre, Institute of Sport Exercise & Health London
- Chief Medical Officer at Reading Football Club, AFC Wimbledon, and previously with West Ham United and The English Football Association
- Consultant Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician for the European Tour Golf
- Consultant Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician for British Athletics
- Consultant Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician to the Ministry of Defense
- Sports Physician at the British Olympic Association and English Institute for Sport
- Sports Physician at the Olympic (London 2012) and Paralympic games (London 2012 and Rio 2016)
- Sports Physician with Saracens Rugby
- Locum Consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine, Central London Community Health NHS Trust
- Sports Medicine Fellowship, Aspetar - Qatar Athlete Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Hospital
- Medical Officer for the London marathon and triathlons
- Patron to the University College London undergraduate Sport and Exercise Medicine Society
Publications, lectures and teaching
- Senior Lecturer and program leader for Postgraduate and Undergraduate degrees in Sports Medicine Exercise and Health at University College London
- Visiting tutor and examiner of musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging at The University of Bournemouth
- Member of faculty and examiner for the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging accreditation exams
- Peer reviewer of research article submissions to medical journals for publication
- Author of numerous articles related to Sport and Exercise Medicine and wider medical topics
- Invited speaker at several International and National Sport and Exercise Medicine Conferences
- Fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Member of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Member of the Royal Society of Medicine