Professor Cathy Speed
Consultant in Rheumatology, Sport and Exercise Medicine
Professor Cathy Speed is a Consultant in Rheumatology, Sport and Exercise Medicine.
She was also a Senior Physician for the English Institute of Sport for 15 years, and is Chief Medical Officer to GB Badminton. She trained at Nottingham, Newcastle, Durham and Cambridge and has done fellowships in the USA and Budapest. She has a PhD in Exercise Physiology.
Her clinical practice blends both her specialities of Rheumatology and Sport & Exercise Medicine in the delivery of care. She has a particular clinical expertise in human performance, the diagnosis and management of complex musculoskeletal injuries, arthritis and recalcitrant tendinopathies in sport and in bone health in young athletes. Her academic interests include human performance sciences, joint and tendon pathologies and the effects of metabolism & hormones on the musculoskeletal system.
Professor Speed has published widely. She is very active in teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level and is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, the organisation dedicated to world class teaching in higher education.
Recent and current appointments
- Substantive Professor of Sports Medicine & Human Performance at Cardiff Metropolitan University, Cardiff
- Clinical Director at the Cambridge Centre for Health and Performance, Cambridge UK
- Senior Physician, English Institute of Sport
- Chief Medical Officer to GB Badminton and Middlesex County Cricket Club at Lords
- Previously Chief Medical Officer for the Athlete Holding Camp in China during the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008
To find out more, or to arrange an appointment please contact my secretary, Debbie Hobbs, who will be more than happy to help:
DDI: +44 (0) 203 195 2344
Fax: +44 (0) 203 070 0106