As a founding member of the Fortius Clinic, Professor Calder has an internationally recognised reputation in the expert treatment of sports injuries.
He works with international athletes and sports professionals including Premier League soccer teams, Paris St Germain, FC Barcelona, AC Milan and Aviva Premiership rugby clubs in addition to the British Olympic team, British athletics, gymnastics, hockey, netball and sailing, England cricket, rugby and soccer. Furthermore, he regularly provides care for patients from the Royal Ballet, Covent Garden and Birmingham Royal Ballet and is Medical Advisor to Dance UK.
Read Forbes' article about professional athletes Professor Calder has treated.
Professor Calder spent a year as foot ankle fellow to Dr Terry Saxby in Brisbane and was awarded a travelling sports orthopaedic fellowship in the USA. He was appointed Consultant at the North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke in 2002, moved to the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in 2010 and is a Professor in the Department of Bioengineering Imperial College, London.
Professor Calder remains actively involved in research projects at the Imperial College and the Fortius Clinic. He is President of ESSKA-AFAS and immediate Past-Chairman of the Achilles Tendon Study Group. He is Specialty Editor at the Bone and Joint Journal and was Associate Editor of Knee Surgery, Sports, Traumatology and Arthroscopy (KSSTA) Journal until 2014. Professor Calder served on the Clinical Studies Group for Arthritis Research UK and has done since 2011. His main areas of research include Achilles tendon, articular cartilage and sports-related ankle and foot injuries. He has developed a major clinical interest in the arthroscopic treatment (keyhole surgery) of ankle conditions and sports-related foot and ankle injuries.
Recent and current appointments
- OBE for Sport and Exercise, 2021 New Years Honours List in reflection of his contribution to teaching and research.
- Clinical Lead at the NHS Nightingale Hospital during Covid 19 pandemic.
- Associate Editor and Editorial Board of The Bone & Joint Journal.
- Former Associate Editor and Editorial Board, Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy Journal (KSSTA).
- Chairman International Achilles Tendon Study Group.
- Vice President ESSKA - AFAS (The European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy).
- Medical Advisor, UK Dance.
Publications, lectures and teaching
- International lecturer on foot and ankle surgery and sports injuries.
- Regular Instructional Course Lecturer for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- More than 100 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Editor of several books and authored over 30 book chapters.
Click here to read Professor Calder's publications.
- British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.
- European Society for Sports Surgery Knee Arthroscopy (ESSKA).
- International Cartilage Repair Society.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.
- Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society.
View James Calder's Wikipedia page here