Professor Sheen is a Senior Consultant in the NHS based in Manchester and was appointed in 2005. He specialises in all types of abdominal wall hernias including groin hernias especially the sportsman’s hernia. He published the world’s first consensus statement on the sportsman’s groin which was a carefully documented rationale for the treatment of patients that present with this potential diagnosis where the agreed new nomenclature was decided on as ‘inguinal disruption’.
Professor Sheen has vast experience in the management of groin hernias from amateur to professional elite athletes and can undertake both open and laparoscopic surgery to suit the needs of each individual patient.
Professor Sheen is the Secretary of the British Hernia Society, Sub-committee member of the European Hernia Society and serves on Scientific and awards committee of the American Hernia Society.
Recent and current appointments
- Consultant General & HPB Surgeon, Manchester University Foundation NHS Trust (MFT)
- Hon. Professor Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)
- Associate Clinical Head of Division (Surgery) (MFT)
- Clinical Director of General Surgery at MFT (2008-2014)
- Senior Lecturer, Manchester University
Publications, lectures and teaching
- Published in many peer reviewed journals including British Journal of Surgery, Annals of Surgery, the British Journal of SportsMedicine & Hernia
- Published book chapters in Textbook of Hernia and Inguinal hernia surgery on the ‘sportsman’s groin’
- Peer reviewed for journals including British Journal of Surgery, British Medical Journal, Hernia, J Sports Med, BMC Surgery
- Lecturer on Final FRCS course
- Invited faculty and key note speaker at international and national conferences
- Global advisory board for industry in mesh design and technology
- Regularly Chairs and is a keynote speaker on Hernia wet labs in Berlin and Vienna
- Leads and supervises a PhD programme for surgical trainees with MMU
- M.D Thesis examiner for Manchester University
- Accredited trainer for the General Medical Council
- Supervisor for both third and Final year medical students
- British Hernia Society
- European Hernia Society
- American Hernia Society
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland.
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons
- International HepatoPancreatoBiliary Association (IHPBA).
- European-African HepatoPancreatoBiliary Association (E-AHPBA).