Mr Giuseppe Sforza is a top private Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in London, specialising in hand and wrist and shoulder and elbow conditions. He offers fast private appointments at Schoen Clinic London. Mr Sforza studied medicine at the University of Bari, Italy and completed his general surgical training and higher orthopaedic training there. He spent periods of fellowship at Danderyd Hospital - Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden winning a grant from the European Union and as a visiting fellow at The Southern California Orthopaedic Institute in Los Angeles.
In 1999, he was appointed shoulder and elbow surgery fellow at the Reading Shoulder Unit at The Royal Berkshire Hospital, where he gained vast experience in shoulder and elbow surgery. In 2000, after completion of his fellowship at the Reading Shoulder Unit, he returned to Italy and was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Matera, Italy as Head of the Shoulder and Elbow Unit and from 2006 at Policlinico di Bari at the University Hospital.
Since 2001, he has been attending regularly the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, United States for courses and visiting fellowships under S. O'Driscoll and B. Morrey to improve his knowledge and clinical practice in elbow surgery. In 2004, Mr Sforza joined the Reading Shoulder Unit and in 2007, he was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Redditch, Worchester NHS Trust. In 2013, he also completed a Master in hand and wrist surgery at the University of Milan, Italy.
Mr Sforza has published in peer-reviewed Journals more than 40 scientific papers and has given over 200 scientific and teaching presentations in national and international meetings. He has written chapters for books on shoulder surgery and has been invited to lecture in Europe and elsewhere including several prestigious scientific societies, such as ICSS, SECEC, EFORT, SICSEG, SIA, SIOT. He presents both nationally and internationally on shoulder and elbow surgery and wrist and sports injuries.
He has organised several international and national courses and meetings on shoulder and elbow surgery for arthroscopic surgery, shoulder arthroplasty and rehabilitation of the upper limb. He is an invited reviewer for the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and is involved in higher surgical training for the fellowship program in the Reading Shoulder and Elbow Centre. Mr Sforza consistently collects outcome surgery forms pre and postoperatively to record the outcome of his surgical procedure and follow specialist societies protocols and guidelines to achieves the best possible surgical outcome using evidence-based treatments and minimally invasive surgical techniques and implants.
Areas of expertise
- Shoulder and elbow condtions and surgery
- Hand and wrist conditions and surgery
- Upper limb sports injuries
- Arthroscopic shoulder surgery impingement and AC Joint arthritis
- Adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder), Hydrodilatation, and Arthroscopic Capsular Release
- Arthroscopic cuff repair, patches implant and tendon transfer
- Open and Arthroscopic shoulder reconstruction for instability of soft tissue and bone block techniques
- Complex shoulder arthroplasty including reverse geometry arthroplasty and revision using minimal invasive implants
- Traumatic shoulder reconstruction, open and arthroscopic reduction and internal fixation for fractures
- Clavicle fractures or dislocations
- Sternoclavicular joint stabilization and arthroscopy
- Elbow arthroscopy, capsular release, tennis or golfer’s elbow release
- Elbow osteo-arthrocapsular release for osteoarthritis
- Elbow open and arthroscopic reduction and internal fixation for fractures
- Elbow partial and total arthroplasty
- Traumatic elbow fixation and ligament reconstruction
- Degenerative wrist surgery, ligament reconstruction
- Traumatic wrist repair and fixation
- Wrist arthroscopy
- TFCC repairs
- Excision of ganglia
- Joint fusion or proximal row carpectomy
- Carpal instability and fracture treatment
- Scaphoid fractures and non-union
- Hand fracture
- Dupuytren’s palmar fasciectomy
- Nerve entrapment (carpal tunnel syndrome, ulnar nerve release)
Current and recent appointments
- Director of Shoulder and Elbow Unit Reading
Publications, lectures and teachings
- Vall M, Natera L, Witney-Lagen C, Imam MA, Narvani AA, Sforza G,
Levy O, Relwani J, Consigliere P. Reverse shoulder replacement versus
Hemiarthroplasty for proximal humeral fracture in elderly patients: a systematic
Musculoskelet Surg. 2022 Dec;106(4):357-367. doi: 10.1007/
s12306-022-00761-y. Epub 2022 Aug 16. Erratum in: Musculoskelet Surg. 2022 Sep 8;:
- Consigliere P, Witney-Lagen C, Natera L, Sforza G, Bruguera J,
Abraham R, Atoun E, Levy O. Outcome of a metaphyseal reverse total shoulder
replacement in rheumatoid arthritis. Musculoskelet Surg. 2022 Sep;106(3):257-268.
doi: 10.1007/s12306-021-00706-x. Epub 2021 Mar 30. PMID: 33783764.
- Virani S, Leonidou A, Panagopoulos G, Holmes N, Sforza G, Relwani
J, Levy O.
Management of glenoid bone loss with impaction and structural bone
grafting in reverse shoulder arthroplasty.
Musculoskelet Surg. 2022 May 22. doi: 10.1007/s12306-022-00747-w. Epub ahead of print.
- Panagopoulos GN, Pugliese M, Leonidou A, Butt F, Jaibaji M,
Megaloikonomos PD, Consigliere P, Sforza G, Atoun E, Levy O.
Acute versus delayed reverse total shoulder arthroplasty for proximal humeral fractures: a
consecutive cohort study.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2022 Feb;31(2):276-285. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2021.07.003. Epub 2021
Aug 13. PMID: 34400290.
- Panagopoulos G, Picca G, Adamczyk A, Leonidou A, Consigliere P,
Sforza G, Atoun E, Rath E, Levy O. The "purse string" technique for anterior
Glenohumeral instability: long-term results 7-13-year follow-up. Eur J Orthop
Surg Traumatol. 2022 Nov 9. doi: 10.1007/s00590-022-03426-5. Epub ahead of print.
- Consigliere, P., Ray, A., Witney-Lagen, C., Bernasconi, A., Mariani, L., Piscitelli, L.,
Natera, L., Buch, B., Atoun, E., Sforza, G., & Levy, O. (2022).
The influence of preoperative teres minor muscle fatty degeneration on active external
rotation following reverse total shoulder arthroplasty.
Seminars in Arthroplasty, 32(1), 174-183. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sart.2021.09.001,
Published - 1 Mar 2022
- Leonidou A, Virani S, Panagopoulos G, Sforza G, Atoun E, Consigliere P, Levy O. Minimally invasive fixation with modified palm tree technique for proximal humerus fractures: Outcomes in a series of 132 patients. J Clin Orthop Trauma.
2021 Jan 29;17:11-17. doi: 10.1016/j.jcot.2021.01.010. PMID: 33717967; PMCID:
- Ferrando A, Natera L, Buch B, Consigliere P, Bruguera J, Sforza G, Atoun E,
Levy O. Software simulations of changing offsets and thus soft tissue tension when revising anatomic to reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in convertible platform systems. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2021 May;31(4):611-619. doi: 10.1007/s00590-020-02812-1. Epub 2020 Oct 22. PMID: 33090267. 9/9/2020 Virtual SECEC Meeting 2020
- Lee J, Consigliere P, Fawzy E, Mariani L, Witney-Lagen C, Natera L, Buch B,
Atoun E, Sforza G, Amar E, Levy O. Accelerated rehabilitation following reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2021 Sep;30(9):e545-e557. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2020.11.017. Epub 2021 Jan 5. PMID: 33418090.
- Arthroscopic treatment of antero-inferior shoulder instability
with the “purse-string” technique (PST): long-term results
Giornale Italiano di Ortopedia e Traumatologia
2019;45:240-249; doi: 10.32050/0390-0134-200
Girolamo Picca, Giuseppe Sforza, Ofer Levy, Biagio Moretti
- Subacromial impingement syndrome: management challenges
Paolo Consigliere, Omar Haddo, Ofer Levy, Giuseppe Sforza,
Orthopedic Research and Reviews 2018:10 83–91
- The "Purse String" Procedure For Recurrent Anterior Glenohumeral Instability: a simple technique to achieve Bankart repair, capsular shift and a Good Labral Bumper. L.Natera, P. Consigliere, C. Witney-Lagen, J. Bruguera, G. Sforza, E. Atoun, O. Levy - Arthroscopy Techniques, 2017, Vol. 6, Issue 4, e1245–e1251
- The "Parachute" Technique: a Simple and Effective Single-Row Procedure to Achieve an Increased Contact Area Between The Cuff-Tendon And Its Footprint. L.Natera, P. Consigliere, C. Witney-Lagen, J. Bruguera, G. Sforza, E. Atoun, O. Levy - Arthroscopy Techniques, 2017, Vol. 6, Issue 5, e1903–e1909
- Reverse shoulder arthroplasty with a cementless short metaphyseal humeral implant without a stem: clinical and radiologic outcomes in prospective 2- to 7-year follow-up study.
Levy O, Narvani A, Hous N, Abraham R, Relwani J, Pradhan R, Bruguera J, Sforza G, Atoun E.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016 Aug;25(8):1362-70. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2015.12.017.
- The prevalence of os acromiale in Patients with massive rotator cuff tears, E Atoun,A Narvani, G Sforza, L Young, E Rath, O Levy.
Int. J. of Orth 2016 April 13; 3(2): 525-527
- New variant of the treatment of acromioclavicular dislocation with System Tight
Rope in mini -open: preliminary clinical study, A Panella1, A Notarnicola1, P Damato1, G Sforza2, G Solarino1, C Mori1, C Margiotta1, B Moretti1 Archives of Trauma Research. Inpress: e30770 , DOI: 10.5812/atr.30770, epub: Aug 3, 2016
- Acromioclavicular joint acceleration-deceleration injury as a cause of persistent shoulder pain: Outcome after arthroscopic resection.
Atoun E, Bano AA, Tongel AV, Narvani A, Sforza G, Levy O.
Indian J Orthop. 2014 Mar;48(2):193-6. doi: 10.4103/0019-5413.128764.
- Medium to long-term outcome of thoracoscapular arthrodesis with screw fixation for facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy.
Van Tongel A, Atoun E, Narvani A, Sforza G, Copeland S, Levy O.
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Aug 7;95(15):1404-8. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.L.01097.
- Narvani AA, Atoun E, Van Tongel A, Sforza G, Levy O. The "anchor shape"
technique for long head of the biceps tenotomy to avoid the popeye deformity.
Arthrosc Tech. 2013 May 11;2(2):e167-70. doi: 10.1016/j.eats.2013.01.008. Print
2013 May. PubMed PMID: 23875145; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3716228.
- Van Tongel A, Atoun E, Narvani A, Sforza G, Levy O. The 'hand squeeze' test
for posterior 'muscle patterning instability' of the shoulder. Acta Orthop Belg.
2013 Feb;79(1):31-5. PubMed PMID: 23547512.
- Atoun E, Narvani A, Even T, Dabasia H, Van Tongel A, Sforza G, Levy O.
Management of first-time dislocations of the shoulder in patients older than 40
years: the prevalence of iatrogenic fracture. J Orthop Trauma. 2013
Apr;27(4):190-3. doi: 10.1097/BOT.0b013e31826576f8. PubMed PMID: 22810551.
- Atoun E, van Tongel A, Narvani A, Rath E, Sforza G, Levy O. Arthroscopically
assisted internal fixation of the symptomatic unstable os acromiale with
absorbable screws. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012 Dec;21(12):1740-5. doi:
10.1016/j.jse.2011.12.011. Epub 2012 Apr 21. PubMed PMID: 22521390.
- Hughes, A., Even, T., Narvani, A.A.,Atoun, E., Van Tongel, A., Sforza, G.,Levy, O.
Pattern and time phase of shoulder function and power recovery after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. 2012, Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 21 (10) , pp. 1299-1303
- Van Tongel, A., Rosa, F., Heffernan, G., Levy, O., Sforza, G. Long-term result after traumatic anterior shoulder dislocation: What works best? 2011, Musculoskeletal Surgery 95 (SUPP) , pp. S65-S70
- Levy, O., Haddo, O., Sforza, G.,Copeland, S., Rath, E."Put your 'extended' finger on the bleeder": The use of direct pressure from the shaver blade to achieve hemostasis. Arthroscopy - Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery 2011, 27 (6) , pp. 867-869
- S. Copeland, G. Sforza: How I perform resurfacing shoulder replacement.
Shoulder & Elbow, Volume 2, Issue 3, July 2010, Pages: 209–214
- E. Pearse, J. Bruguera, S. Massoud, G. Sforza, S. Copeland,
Arthroscopic Management of the Painful Snapping Scapula
Arthroscopy: Vol 22, No 7 (july), 2006, pp 755-761
- G. Sforza, O. Levy.
Post-traumatic locked dislocation of congenital pseudarthrosis of the clavicle.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005 May-Jun;14(3):336-7
- S. Thomas, G. Sforza, O. Levy, S. Copeland.
Geometrical analysis of Copeland surface replacement shoulder arthroplasty in relation to normal anatomy.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005 Mar-Apr;14(2):186-92
- Levy O, Funk L, Sforza G, Copeland SA.
Copeland surface replacement arthroplasty of the shoulder in rheumatoid
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004 Mar;86-A(3):512-8
- Tytherleigh-Strong GM, Levy O, Sforza G, Copeland SA.
The role of arthroscopy for the problem shoulder arthroplasty.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002 May-Jun;11(3):230-4
- Tytherleigh-Strong G, Gill J, Sforza G, Copeland S, Levy O.
Reossification and fusion across the acromioclavicular joint after arthroscopic
acromioplasty and distal clavicle resection.
Arthroscopy. 2001 Nov-Dec;17(9):E36
- Levy O, Wilson M, Williams H, Bruguera JA, Dodenhoff R, Sforza G, Copeland
S. Thermal capsular shrinkage for shoulder instability. Mid-term longitudinal
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2001 Jul;83(5):640-5
- Salomonsson B, Sforza G, Revay S, Abbaszadegan H, Jonsson U.
Atraumatic shoulder instability. Discussion of classification and results after
Scand J Med Sci Sports. 1998 Dec;8(6):398-404
- S.A. Copeland, O. Levy, G. Sforza
"La protesi di rivestimento di spalla: indicazioni e limiti”
Archivio di ortopedia e reumatologia Volume 116, n. 3, 2005 - 10261
Books on Shoulder topic:
- From the book: Le fratture dell’omero prossimale nel paziente anziano, Timeo editore, November 2014, pp 181-202. ISBN 978-88-97162-52-0.
Fratture dell’omero prossimale: quali protesi per quali fratture.
G. Sforza, P Consigliere, C Aravena, O Levy.
- Chapter in the book: Arthroscopy Basic to Advanced
Randelli, P., Dejour, D., van Dijk, C.N., Denti, M., Seil, R. (Eds.)
ISBN 978-3-662-49376-2, © 2016,
G. Sforza, P Consigliere.
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS)
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH)
- Italian Shoulder and Elbow Society (SICSEG)
- European Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery (SECEC)
- Italian association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (SIOT)
- British Medical Association (BMA)