Mr Aweid is a substantive Consultant Orthopaedic Knee Surgeon who specialises in the full spectrum of knee surgical procedures, including osteotomy, partial knee replacement, total knee replacement, cartilage repair, patella stabilisation, ACL reconstruction, multi-ligament knee reconstruction and meniscal repair operations. He is also an expert in the treatment and management of sports injuries, including exercise-induced leg pain (also known as shin splints) and was selected to join the Olympics medical team in 2012. In 2015 he was awarded membership of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine in recognition of his training in the specialty.
Mr Aweid qualified from St George’s University in London in 2008 and completed his trauma and orthopaedic specialist training at the Cambridge Deanery. He then went on to accomplish two internationally-renowned fellowships: The Fowler Kennedy Institution for Sport and Exercise Medicine Fellowship in Canada and the Bristol Knee fellowship in the UK. Through this experience, Mr Aweid acquired valuable expertise in all aspects of knee surgery across different healthcare systems, particularly with soft tissue knee surgery, osteotomy, uni-compartmental, total and revision knee arthroplasty.
Beyond his high-quality orthopaedic practice, he maintains a strong interest in education. He has two research degrees, alongside a Diploma in Sports and Exercise Medicine, and is a fellow of the Arthroscopy Association of Canada.
Mr Aweid is actively involved in teaching programs. He has been an invited faculty member on several acclaimed courses including the Basingstoke knee osteotomy masterclass covering soft tissue knee reconstruction and complex osteotomy.
Mr Aweid is a keen sportsman having taken part in endurance sports including open water swims. He is married with two sons and enjoys hiking and cycling with his family.
Areas of expertise
- ACL reconstruction
- Multi-ligament knee reconstruction
- Meniscal repair
- Exercise-induced leg pain (shin splints)
- Primary knee replacement
- Unicompartmental knee replacement
- Realignment osteotomy
- Revision knee replacement
- Patella stabilisation
Current and recent appointments
- Cambridge University Hospital (Honorary Contract)
- The Grosvenor Hospital, Chester
- Robert Jones Agnus Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital (RJAH) Oswestry (Honorary contract)
- Clinical Lead for Audit at Broomfield University Hospital
Publications, lectures and teachings
- Multiple publications in peer reviewed journals and book chapters
- Regular Faculty member on orthopaedic courses
- Faculty member at the University of Western Ontario medical student clinical sessions during international fellowship
- Official examiner at the Queen Mary University of London clinical exams
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Association of Sports and Exercise Medicine
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK)
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
- Faculty of Sports and Excercise Medicine (FSEM)
- The British Orthopaedic Sports Trauma Arthroscopy Association (BOSTAA)