Mr Johan Witt is a top private Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in London specialising in hip conditions and private hip PAO surgery. Mr Witt was appointed as Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon to University College London Hospitals in 1995. His training fellowships were in Boston, Sydney and Bern. He worked with Prof Rheinhold Ganz who developed our understanding of young adult hip conditions in particular femoroacetabular impingement and hip dysplasia. He leads the young adult hip unit at UCLH specialising in the hip joint preservation surgery and hip replacement which is a tertiary referral centre seeing patients from all over the UK.
Mr Witt has been instrumental in raising the profile of hip conditions affecting young adults by running educational meetings and surgical courses around the country and particularly within the British Hip Society. He has the largest experience of periacetabular osteotomy surgery in the UK and has developed and published on a minimally invasive (keyhole) approach to perform this surgery.
His specialist interest is in relation to hip preservation techniques in particular periacetabular osteotomy (PAO) for hip dysplasia, arthroscopic and open surgery for femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) and hip replacement in highly active patients.
Mr Witt has vast experience in total hip replacement including in young adults and adults. He was an early adopter of the minimally invasive Direct Anterior Approach for hip replacement which gives advantages for early recovery. His research interests relate to the outcome of minimally invasive periacetabular osteotomy, analysis of hip morphology using 3-D CT techniques with reference to FAI and hip dysplasia, long-term outcomes of ceramic hip bearings and minimally invasive total hip replacement using the direct anterior approach.
Areas of expertise
- Hip conditions and surgery
- Hip PAO surgery
Recent and current appointments
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Lead for Hip Surgery Institute of Sport, Exercise and Health, University College London
Publications, lectures and teaching
- Published a variety of peer-reviewed papers
- Reviews for The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery and International Orthopaedics
- Runs annual courses on techniques of hip joint preservation surgery
- Invited faculty member for national and international meetings
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Hip Society