Miss Helen Fernandes is a Consultant in Neurosurgery, specialising in the treatment of spinal problems, paediatric neurosurgery and general neurosurgical problems.
Helen Fernandes was appointed as Consultant Neurosurgeon at the internationally renowned Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge in 2002, the first female surgeon to be appointed there. She specialises in the treatment of both adult and paediatric patients with brain and spinal problems.
Helen offers a wide range of neurosurgical expertise but has a particular interest in spinal neurosurgery. Her other special interest is paediatric neurosurgery, being Lead Paediatric Neurosurgeon in Addenbrooke’s. She cares for children with hydrocephalus, brain and spinal tumours, following head and spinal injury and those born with congenital spinal and brain disorders such as spina bifida.
Recent and current appointments
- Consultant Neurosurgeon, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge
- Honorary Consultant Paediatric Neurosurgeon Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Honorary Clinical Lecturer, University of Cambridge
- Visiting Spinal Surgeon Peterborough General Hospital
Publications, lectures and teaching
- MRC Senior Lecturer University of Newcastle upon Tune
- Louis Alexander Research Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Hunterian Professor, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Greg Wilkins-Barrick Chair visiting international surgeon award from the American Association of Neurosurgeons
- One of the Top 50 UK Surgeons by the Times Newspaper in 2011
- Patron Tom’s Trust Charity Caring for Children with Brain Tumours
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Member of Society of British Neurological Surgeons
- Member of the British Association of Spinal Surgeons