Dr Rowena Johnson is a Consultant Musculoskeletal Radiologist at Oxford University Hospitals, based at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre.
She has completed two musculoskeletal fellowships, at Chelsea & Westminster Hospital and in Toronto, Canada. Her regular practice includes sports imaging, image guided treatments, major trauma, spine abnormalities, bone and soft tissue tumours, bone infection and complex orthopaedic and rheumatological problems. She sees both adult and paediatric patients, having worked at Great Ormond Street Hospital and Sick Kids, Toronto. She has experience in managing elite sports players, including working in the Pan American and Parapan American Games.
She is the lead of iRefer, the Royal College of Radiologists’ flagship publication, which is the internationally recognised guide to ensure that patients have the most accurate investigation or intervention.
Recent and Current Appointments
- Professional Support and Standards Board, Royal College of Radiologists
- Professional Learning and Development Committee, Royal College of Radiologists
- Advisory Editor in Musculoskeletal Radiology, Clinical Radiology Journal
- Editor, Royal College of Radiologists Newsletter
- Life appointment as a Medical Member of the Ministry of Justice
- Previous full time Clinical Editor, British Medical Journal
Publications, Lectures and Teaching
- Dr Johnson is a Tutor in Medicine at The Queen’s College, University of Oxford.
- She is a regular invited lecturer at several National and International courses in Sports and Exercise Medicine, Rheumatology and Orthopaedics.
- She is co-organiser of several popular courses, including courses on spine imaging, MRI imaging, emergency radiology and interview skills. She has also organised courses on behalf of the British Institute of Radiology.
- Royal College of Radiologists
- British Society of Skeletal Radiology
- European Society of Radiology