Dr Hughes has extensive experience in treating Sports and Musculoskeletal Injuries.
He has worked across a diverse range of elite sport teams and clubs. More recently he was the doctor to the World Champion England Women’s Rugby team. He worked for several years with the Ministry of Defence at DMCR Headley Court where he specialised in Complex Trauma Injury Rehabilitation. He was also the lead Consultant of the Elite Sports Injuries clinic there. Dr Hughes has a sub speciality interest in tendinopathy management. His uses a team approach working with the patient and physical therapy team using the same rehabilitation principles used in elite sport.
For tendinopthy treatments he is an expert in delivery of shockwave therapy, in performing High Volume injections and the use of Platelet Rich Plasma. He is experienced in diagnostic and interventional ultrasound and works closely with the Fortius Radiology team to obtain a rapid diagnosis for patients. Dr Hughes delivers an expert Sports Medicine opinion on Knee injuries, Hip and Groin pain, Neck and Back pain, Foot and ankle injuries and running related injuries. He works full time at the Fortius city clinic.
Dr Hughes is a leader in his speciality as Vice President of the Faculty ( FSEM) . He was Chairman of the Specialist advisory committee and involved in the education of the next generation of consultants. He is an excellent communicator with colleagues and patients. He lectures and promotes his Speciality nationally and internationally.
Recent and current appointments
- Current Vice President of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine ( FSEM)
- Past Chairman of the SEM Specialist Advisory Committee - Royal College of Physicians
- Past Chairman of London Training Programme Management Committee
Publications, lectures and teaching
- Faculty Examiner - Sport and Exercise medicine
- Presenter BASEM Conference
- Fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine UK
- Member of the Royal Society of Medicine